The Cities and Volcanoes Commission of IAVCEI is now hosted here at V-HUB
Nominations for CoV10
Call for nominations for hosting CoV10 in 2018
EXTENDED: 31 July 2016 - Deadline for nominations for hosting CoV10 in 2018
EXTENDED: 15 September 2016 - Deadline for written proposals for hosting CoV10 in 2018
To have a proposal considered, a nomination must have been received by 30 July 2016 (EXTENDED)
Background: To date there have been eight “Cities on Volcanoes” meetings. The purpose of these meetings is to bring together volcanologists, city authorities, sociologists, psychologists, emergency managers, economists and city planners to evaluate volcanic crises preparedness and management in cities and densely populated areas.
In 1995 the “Volcanoes in Towns” meeting was held in Rome, Italy. From that developed the first “Cities on Volcanoes”, held in June-July 1998 in Rome and Naples, Italy with over 100 people attending. This was followed by the second in February 2001 in Auckland, New Zealand; the third in Hilo, USA in July 2003; the fourth in Quito, Ecuador in January 2006; the fifth in Shimabara, Japan in November 2007; the sixth in May 2010 in Tenerife, Spain; the seventh in Colima, Mexico, November 2012; and the most recent 9-13 September 2014, in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. The ninth is planned for Puerto Varas, Chile November 20-25, 2016.
• CoV meetings are required to have a core focus on the links between volcanoes and society - especially cities. Community and disaster/emergency management participants are to be actively encouraged to participate and supported where possible.
• Future “Cities on Volcanoes” meetings will be evenly spaced between the IAVCEI General Assembly and IUGG meetings; they will continue to be held approximately every two years late in the year. • Venues for “Cities on Volcanoes” meetings will change for each successive meeting
• The venue for the ninth “Cities on Volcanoes” meeting to be held in 2018 will be selected by a Committee of the Cities and Volcanoes Commission.
• Brief nominations for hosting this meeting will close on 15 June 2016.
• Formal written proposals arising from these nominations are to be submitted by 15 August 2016 and must outline briefly:
o venue for conference
o locality (e.g. volcano characteristics, activity, exposed population, vulnerability, etc.)
o transport options for international attendees
o strategy to focus on cities and on volcanic risk mitigation
o session/programme ideas (e.g. session topics, plenary speakers, field trips)
o arrangements for logistics and handling of these by the host country o potential sponsorship
o preliminary estimates of the registration fees.
• The Commission Executive Committee will consider the proposals and may seek further details from the applicants.
The venue will be decided by a formal vote of the Executive Committee.
• The Commission will announce the next venue on 25 November 2016 at the Cities on Volcanoes 9 conference.
• The Commission will assist the hosting country where possible but organisational and financial responsibility rests with the hosts.
7 March 2016 Formal call for nominations for hosting CoV10
31 July 2016 Deadline for nominations for hosting CoV10
15 Sept 2016 Deadline for written proposals for hosting CoV10
1 Oct 2016 Deadline for further information requests by Commission
31 Oct 2016 Deadline for further information submissions
20-25 Nov 2016 Meeting of the executive committee of the Cities and Volcanoes Commission to decide venue of CoV10
25 Nov 2016 Venue for CoV10 announced